[b-hebrew] Is51:9

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Thu May 20 16:08:38 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

>hzv, again, has positive, creative connotation. The example you
>offered, Hos6:5, only proves my point:
>
>I hewed (hzv) them by the prophets
>
>Prophets didn't kill or cut to pieces, they hewed people into good Jews.

HH: Look at the whole verse:

Hos. 6:5 Therefore I cut you in pieces with my prophets, I killed you
with the words of my mouth; my judgments flashed like lightning upon
you.

HH: Hebrew uses parallelism here, and the words are not positive.

>Now, returning to Is51:9,
>
>mahzevet is causative of hzv, so, made the one to hew, therefore,
>
>Are not you the one who made the rahab (Egypt) who hews the stones
>(made pyramids?), [and the one who] shocks the crocodile (pharaoh;
>makes him tremble, or empties)
>
>The meaning is that the power of Almighty is two-folded, to give and
>to empty of, to help and to make tremble.

HH: This is the verse in a standard translation:

Is. 51:9 Awake, awake! Clothe yourself with strength, O arm of the
LORD; awake, as in days gone by, as in generations of old. Was it not
you who cut Rahab to pieces, who pierced that monster through?

HH: I don't really have time for this kind of exchange. If you
address another question to me, I will not answer it.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard