[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

wattswestmaas wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Thu May 20 06:26:09 EDT 2004

> Dear Jack, Harold, Peter, Vadim, etc.
> These events are to be treated as descriptive of events
> that took place in the Persian period, the time of Second
> Isaiah. Any other interpretation violates all common sense
> imo. Prophets deal with the events and concerns of their
> own times. They do not deal with events happening 700 or
> 500 years in the future.

Can you back this up with scholarly evidence please??

Greetings, Chris  -  Ireland

I agree with this, Liz.  Burial practices in the 2nd Temple period may not
have been prophecied by deutero-Isaiah but may have been influenced by
Isaiah...sort of prophecy historicized by sages who believed Isaiah was
predicting events hundreds of years later.  Isaiah appears to be the prophet
of choice in the New Testament.

Jack