[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Wed May 19 17:47:03 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,
No Sanhedrin, nope, nada.
You're retrojecting the Talmud into the Persian period.
Still I agree that he would have been buried elsewhere away
from the common folk.
The Zoroastrians had/have a custom of laying the body out
for the vultures to pick the flesh off and then placing the bones
in an above-ground sepulcher so that the bones don't defile
the earth or the air (air, earth, fire and water were holy).
That might be what is going on here.
Best,
Liz