[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: in his death?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed May 19 12:12:51 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

No, I am not making a logical error. I did not say that every rich
person was evil. I said that richness is often associated with
wickedness in the prophets. But most of the rich could be wicked.
Here is a passage in Micah:

Mic. 6:9 Listen! The LORD is calling to the city - and to fear your
name is wisdom -  "Heed the rod and the One who appointed it.
Mic. 6:10 Am I still to forget, O wicked house, your ill-gotten
treasures and the short ephah, which is accursed?
Mic. 6:11 Shall I acquit a man with dishonest scales, with a bag of
false weights?
Mic. 6:12 Her rich men are violent; her people are liars and their
tongues speak deceitfully.

HH: So the rich men of this city were evil, and the commentary I have
suggests that the city was probably Jerusalem ("Micah," by Bruce
Waltke, The Minor Prophets, ed. Thomas E. McComisky, p. 737).

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard