[b-hebrew] Lehrg in Gesenius?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Wed May 19 08:40:08 EDT 2004

Dear Philip,

On the plural use of Ashteroths, one theory is that the plural
represents the numerous local manifestations of Ashteroth, in the
same sense as there were many local manifestations of Baal. There was
a Baal of Tyre, a Baal of Peor, and others. Many proper names include
Baal as if there was a local manifestation: Baal Meon, Baal Zephon,
Baal Gad, Baal Perazim, Baal Hazor, and so forth. These could also be
translated Baal of Meon, Baal of Zephon, etcetera.

>In H. W. F. Gesenius, Gesenius's Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon to the Old
>Testament, (Grand Rapids, Michigan: Baker Book House, 1979). Page 49,
>Section 433, right column, first paragraph, Section B,
>
>Gesenius makes reference to Lehrg. in the following statement.
>
>  "the plural noun elohim is used in a singular sense, of the one
>almighty God, the plural form elohim, indicating God's majesty and
>excellence, (compare as to the plural majestatis or excellentice, Lehrg.
>Page 663, 664), Hebrew Grammar Section 106, 2, b) and is constructed
>with a verb and adjective in the singular tense, (e.g. 2 Kings 19:4, 16;
>Psalm 7:10, Psalm 57:3; Psalm 78:56, Genesis 1:1, 3 seq.)."
>
>However, unlike most other books which indicate what their abbreviations
>mean, I have not been able to discover a list or key explaining
>Gesenius's abbreviations, particularly who Lehrg. is.
>
>Does anyone know who Lehrg. is, and the full reference, publisher, city
>of publication etc. ?

HH: Since BDB used Gesenius, you could check their abbreviation list.
It has things similar to what you give, but not exactly the same
letters.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard