[b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect?

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Tue May 18 16:51:56 EDT 2004

Dear Liz,

If I were to make a  translation of Isaiah 9:1,5, I had to make up my
mind: is this a prophecy or is it narrative past? Bible translation
is interpretation, that is unavoidable! I did not answer Julie from
that perspective, i.e. I did not take a  standpoint as to whether
these words refer to the past or the future, but I responded to the
grammatical work that she quoted, which viewed these verses as
future. So my point was: this grammar says that the verses are
"prophetic perfect," but if it applies them to the future, how can
the authors know that it is not simple future? How can the authors
know the mind of the prophet if this is not stated? My aim was to
show that the term "prophetic perfect" was suspicious.

We agree that we should  not translate the OT in the light of the NT,
but my personal view is that Is 9 is a message about the future -this
is the default interpretation of the words of a prophet (cf. 9:7) -
but of course, there may be past, perfect or present reference in a
prophet's words as well.  I am open for arguments to the contrary,
but an important point I want to put across is this: too many
accounts have been interpreted as past narrative on the basis of a
faulty understanding of QATAL (it is either past tense or completed
or complete), and on a faulty understanding of WAYYIQTOL (it is past
tense, or completed, or complete).

Best regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli