[b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect?

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Tue May 18 11:21:08 EDT 2004

Dear Julie,

Your thoughts below are logical and reasonable, and it is fine that
you try to understand the subtleties of Hebrew grammar. The crux of
the matter is the claim "sometimes regarded as having already been
accomplished".  This is in a way a psychological statement, the
grammarian(s) claim they know the mind of the writer. In order to
substantiate such a claim, one has to point out that either this
writer, or one writing in a similar way, has explicitly stated the
case. Or, one has to point to a text, which, interpreted in a
reasonable way, implies that this was the state of the mind of the
author. To the best of my knowledge, this has never been done in any
grammar or monograph!

But if one looks at the grammatical literature from Samuel Lee and to
the present, one will see that the prophetic perfect is an ad hoc
claim.  A fine illustration is the geocentric view (the sun and the
planets revolve around the earth) of the Church in the first
millennium CE. Because God is perfect, the planets must revolve in
perfect, spherical orbits around the earth was the view. However,
observation revealed that sometimes the planets held positions above
or below the perfect circle. But God was perfect, no doubt about
that. Thus, the ad hoc hypothesis was formed that the planets went
along in perfect spherical orbits, but at the same time they went
along in perfect spherical orbits perpendicularly on the axis of
their orbit around the earth.  Now everything became harmonious. God
was perfect and the orbits were perfect. But no data was used t reach
that conclusion!

  The perfective perfect notion was originally built on the view that
QATAL was past tense and /or signalled completed acts. Thus, it
contradicted fundamental grammatical thoughts to have hundreds of
QATALs with simple future reference. So, in order to save the grammar
- but without any data - the psychological explanation was invented
that the action was completed in the mind of the prophet. Please ask
your constructor if he or she has any *data* showing that the QATALs
of Isaiah 9:1,5 are not just simple futures.

Best regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo