[b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue May 18 10:41:20 EDT 2004

On 17/05/2004 16:19, Karl Randolph wrote:

>David:
>
>What is at stake here is not the legality of the action, as we understand it, rather the action. This is giving something of value to get the recipient to do something that he normally may not do. In that way, a king can bribe another king.
>
>An example of a “legal” bribe is in U.S. politics, where a large donation is given to a politician’s re-election campaign so that the politician will do certain things that the “donor” wishes.

Another example, closer to the context, is the way in which (allegedly
at least) the USA offered financial incentives to other countries to
join the attack on Iraq. A bribe? Unethical? That depends on your
political viewpoint - and I don't want to get us into a discussion of
that! But maybe similar political judgments were being hinted at in the
different nuances behind $XD and &KR.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/