[b-hebrew] Prophetic Perfect?

Julie Devall krena_li_mara at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 10:42:31 EDT 2004

Gentlemen,

Perhaps we should look at Jouon-Muraoka on this point:

"In prophecies a future event is sometimes regarded as having already been
accomplished, hence the use of qatal.  This prophetic perfect is not a
grammatical perfect, but a rhetorical device."  (The examples cited are Isa.
9.1, 9.5.)

If we step back and consider these so-called prophetic perfects within the
frame which the author/redactor constructs, we find these passages embedded
within a larger discourse.  What JM calls a rhetorical device is perhaps
just a function of pragmatics.  My instructor (if I correctly understood the
lecture) asked our class to consider the mode of prophecy itself.  (Assuming
continuity of Isa.)  Prophecy here comes in the mode of a Vision.  So,
perhaps the use fo the qatal is a function of the vision which was past, Isa
1.

Thoughts,

Julie :)