[b-hebrew] Re: Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue May 18 03:58:51 EDT 2004

> > > Isa 45:13 seems to be a reference to reward, a gift for doing
something
> > > ethically good and legal, in this case freeing captives.  I read it as
the
> > > righteous free captives for goodness alone, without expectation of
reward.
> > > However it could be read that the righteous free captives without
> > expecting ransoms, which the modern reader would have a negative
association with. It depends if the righteous is the captor, or liberates
the captives from a
> > 3rd party captor.

Since Isaiah 45:13 is about Cyrus, who is expected to "build my city and
free my exiles, not for a price and not for $oxad", but simply because he is
rightous - "the Lord's annointed". So $oxad is what a rightous king would
NOT take - meaning that an evil one would.

Yigal