[b-hebrew] Bribes, Gifts, and Tribute

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon May 17 19:19:08 EDT 2004

David:

What is at stake here is not the legality of the action, as we understand it, rather the action. This is giving something of value to get the recipient to do something that he normally may not do. In that way, a king can bribe another king.

An example of a “legal” bribe is in U.S. politics, where a large donation is given to a politician’s re-election campaign so that the politician will do certain things that the “donor” wishes.

Usually, however, bribes are recognized as a way to pervert justice.

Karl W. Randolph.