[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

Lee Roy Martin lmartin at vol.com
Mon May 17 16:31:31 EDT 2004

Vadim,
Given your concern for the literal, if you insist on rejecting bemotav
as "death" then you should translate it as "his high places," not "his
altars".  The word bamah means "back", or  "high place".  If a high
place is used for worship it may include an altar or a shrine, but the
Isaiah 53 text does include the words altar or house, both of which are
occur in other texts along with the word bamah.
If the high place is  a cultic place of burial, as it seems to be in
Ezek. 4:7, then you still have the problem of the plural form= "his
burial places".
In light of the parallelism of the verse, I would either translate as
"his death" or "his burial", and accept the plural as intensive.
Lee R. Martin