[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon May 17 14:53:18 EDT 2004

Dear Liz,

>  > 2) The form )eT that appears twice in Isa 53:9 is the normal form for
>>  the preposition "with" when it is preceded by a maqqeph. See
>>  Brown-Driver-Briggs lexicon under the preposition )eT, where that is
>  > the first fact given about the word.

>Yes, but why then does that not come across in the Greek?
>They have no preposition "with" and they put "wicked" in
>the accusative. But it is impossible to read this way.
>My teachers taught me to read the consonantal text when there's
>a problem anyway.

HH: I don't think the LXX translators did a good job on the first
line of Isa 53:9. They seem to have been influenced by ideas in
Isaiah 43:3, trying to give a substitutionary idea to "grave" like
that for Egypt and Seba as a ransom and replacement:

Is. 43:3 For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your
Savior; I give Egypt for your ransom, Cush and Seba in your stead.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard