[b-hebrew] Elizabeth

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon May 17 14:24:32 EDT 2004

On 16/05/2004 12:29, Unikom-Ug Corp. wrote:

>I'm not sure if this list is a proper place to ask, but perhaps someone can explain me:
>
>are there any grammatical (not doctrinal) reasons beyond the change of "Elizabeth" etymology from Jezebel in Weekley to Elisheba?

Well, where I come from my head might be in danger for linking my
queen's name to that of Jezebel. :-)

"Elizabeth" is highly unlikely to derive from "Jezebel" as the order of
the consonants is different, and because a good Jewish woman was called
Elizabeth and would surely not have been named after the evil queen Jezebel.

Consider the variant forms Jehoshabeath in 2 Chronicles 22:11 and
Jehosheba in 2 Kings 11:2. -Sheba (masculine) became -Shabeath
(feminine), which could easily become -Sabet in Greek (Luke 1:7) because
Greek has no letter "sh", and thence -Zabeth in English. So the
underlying Hebrew was probably Elishabeath, which would be a variant of
Elisheba.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/