[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Mon May 17 13:34:28 EDT 2004

Dear Liz,

>Sorry. I read the list of examples, I did not read your comments.
>I don't agree that there is such a thing as an "intensive" plural
>with nouns. I think the preferred reading is bamotav, his
>sepulcher, or emend the text to the singular.
>You object to emending the text, yet you willingly emend
>  )et to )it, with. The Greek puts "the wicked" in the
>accusative case. The Greek has "He will give the wicked instead
>of his grave."  I agree with Vadim that the Hebrew is past tense,
>but I don't know how to put "the wicked" in the accusative.
>He put the wicked (in) his grave?

HH: 1) "Intensive plural" is not only a category of nouns recognized
by older and still honored grammarians such as Gesenius, but also of
current ones like Waltke and O'Connor. See Biblical Hebrew Syntax
7.4.3 and 14.2c.

2) The form )eT that appears twice in Isa 53:9 is the normal form for
the preposition "with" when it is preceded by a maqqeph. See
Brown-Driver-Briggs lexicon under the preposition )eT, where that is
the first fact given about the word.

					Yours,
					Harold Holmyard