[b-Hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

Lisbeth S. Fried lizfried at umich.edu
Mon May 17 10:40:25 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,
I agree with you about the tense. My problem lies elsewhere.
Like yours, modern translations put "his grave" in the accusative
and "the wicked" in the dative. I don't think this is
correct, but I don't know how to translate it any
other way myself. But this needs to be discussed, not assumed.

Also, as an aside, I did a study on the word bamah/ot, and "altars" is
a mistranslation. A bamah is a building. Elsewhere it should be
translated "temple." Here "temple" doesn't seem to be in parallel
with 'grave."
In English the antecedent of "his grave" must be the one who gave,
I don't know if that is necessarily the case in Hebrew. I think
it would have said, "he made a grave for himself (low) with the wicked.
Liz Fried