[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon May 17 04:40:22 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim:

I hesitated  answering this  challenge, as when I looked at your site, you a priori rule out some readings for the text, namely certain historical Jewish and Christian ones. As a linguist, I think it is important to keep one’s philosophical presuppositions apart from one’s linguistic analysis. If one tries to combine the two, as it appears that you have done, one usually ends up with rather tortured results.

If I had been one of the people to whom you sent your article, I, too, would have returned it without comment. I found your “translation” strange.

Do you know modern Hebrew? If so, have you studied the differences between modern and Biblical Hebrew? There’s a greater difference between them than between, for example, Norwegian and Swedish. You have so many nonstandard meanings for lexemes that I suspect they may come from modern Hebrew instead of Biblical Hebrew. If I pointed out every one, it would take a very long response.

I mention a couple below: