[b-hebrew] "Justice" in hebraic thinking

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon May 17 01:03:53 EDT 2004

Chris:

TsDQ צדק refers to a personal quality, which can also be practiced by a nation or group. This is the quality of treating others fairly, in other words, justly. It is also used in the sense of making or causing others to be just.

$PT שפט is justice in the judicial sense. This is where a person can be acquitted or judged as being in the wrong.

DYN דין has the concept of bringing a lawsuit and having that adjudicated.

(WL עול deals with injustice, often in the judicial theater, while XMS חמס is treating others unfairly in word and/or deed. RV( רשע refers to the guilt from doing injust actions, hence wicked.

This is the way I understand the terms. I hope this helps.

Karl W. Randolph.