[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

Dave Washburn dwashbur at nyx.net
Sun May 16 17:43:14 EDT 2004

On Sunday 16 May 2004 13:03, Peter Kirk wrote:
> On 16/05/2004 11:46, Dave Washburn wrote:
> >I already referred you to numerous ongoing arguments to the contrary, i.e
> > the list archives.  If you're not willing to check them out and see what
> > has gone before, then I can't help you.  Again I say: go spend a week
> > reading the archives on this topic before making such absolutists
> > statements.
> >
> >On Sunday 16 May 2004 09:33, unikom at paco.net wrote:
> >>Dear Dave,
> >>
> >>Perhaps because Hebrew is more natural for me, I was never really
> >>interested in academic discussions on grammar. For all practical issues,
> >>there are of course tenses in Hebrew, and with certain caveats they are
> >>clear and easy to apply.
> >>Even if, say, 10 or 15% of the Tanakic verb entries are in a possibly
> >>wrong tense, this relates to the scribes' accuracy.
> >>I would be curious to see arguments to the contrary, if you can refer me
> >>to a publication, preferably a one available on the Internet.
> >>

> >>Sincerely,
> >>
> >>Vadim Cherny
>
> Dave, don't be so hard on poor Vadim. You may not agree with his
> conclusions, any more than I do in many ways. But in this posting he is
> not being absolutist, and he is asking for information. You are welcome
> to point him to the archives as a source of that information. But I
> don't think it's a very helpful one.

We are in complete disagreement here.  The archives are a reasonable starting
point for this group's various views of the verb system, particularly if one
wants to discuss the topic in this group.  True, in this post he's asking for
information.  But the one I originally responded to was making absolutist
statements, so I don't understand what's up with all this attitude.

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur