[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Sun May 16 15:03:56 EDT 2004

On 16/05/2004 11:46, Dave Washburn wrote:

>I already referred you to numerous ongoing arguments to the contrary, i.e the
>list archives.  If you're not willing to check them out and see what has gone
>before, then I can't help you.  Again I say: go spend a week reading the
>archives on this topic before making such absolutists statements.
>
>On Sunday 16 May 2004 09:33, unikom at paco.net wrote:
>

>>Dear Dave,
>>
>>Perhaps because Hebrew is more natural for me, I was never really
>>interested in academic discussions on grammar. For all practical issues,
>>there are of course tenses in Hebrew, and with certain caveats they are
>>clear and easy to apply.
>>Even if, say, 10 or 15% of the Tanakic verb entries are in a possibly
>>wrong tense, this relates to the scribes' accuracy.
>>I would be curious to see arguments to the contrary, if you can refer me
>>to a publication, preferably a one available on the Internet.
>>

>>Sincerely,
>>
>>Vadim Cherny

Dave, don't be so hard on poor Vadim. You may not agree with his
conclusions, any more than I do in many ways. But in this posting he is
not being absolutist, and he is asking for information. You are welcome
to point him to the archives as a source of that information. But I
don't think it's a very helpful one.

Vadim, if you have a week to spend on such things, don't waste it on the
repetitive and inconclusive discussions in the archive. I'm sure there
are much more useful things on the Internet, but I don't know exactly what.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/