[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sun May 16 07:41:34 EDT 2004

Dear Steve,

Thanks for taking the time to put together this
information. I think one thing it shows is that
although commentators may have come up with
different explanations for why the word was in
the plural, they showed a willingness to accept
the word and to realize that it applies to the
death of an individual. As you suggest, people
who work regularly with the Hebrew need not
stumble long over the appearance of a plural noun
with a singular meaning, since there are so many
of them. This is not a word like mayim or hayyim
that is regularly in the plural, but those
pluralized singulars help us to understand how a
category like plural for emphasis could make
sense in that language.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard