[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Sun May 16 04:02:37 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

Over a period of ten years I have analyzed all the more than 70.000
verbs of the Tanakh, the DSS and the inscriptions as to temporal
reference, modality and different discourse functions. My conclusion,
for which I present more than one thousand examples in my thesis, is
that Classical Hebrew has no tenses but two aspects (with very
different characteristics compared with their English counterparts).
The forms YIQTOL, WAYYIQTOL, and WEYIQTOL all represent the
imperfective aspect and QATAL  and WEQATAL represent the perfective
aspect.  The view of the "reversal of tense" by WE- WAY(Y)  collides
head on with the data material.

There are two basic weaknesses in previous studies:

1. There is no systematic attempt to differentiate between past tense
and past reference.
2. Definitions of English aspects  are applied uncritically to Hebrew
aspects, without any attempt to study the Hebrew aspects in their own
right and find their real nature.

Before these weaknesses are remedied, the study of Hebrew verbs jus
lead to dead ends.

Best regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli