[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Sat May 15 12:33:29 EDT 2004

Dear Harold,

It is true that several modern translations translate many
occurrences of QATAL with future reference  with simple future, but
in other instances the same translations translate differently. A
good example is the passage under discussion, Isaiah 53; but please
add 52: 13-15 as well. Many translations (perhaps most) render
52:13,15 with future tense, and this shows that the servant is a
future person (or group - not to exclude Jewish thinking). On this
basis I wonder why the verses of chapter 53 is not rendered by future
tense as well, because it is the same servant that is mentioned in
that chapter. Please tell me why? Another example is the one I
mentioned, Jeremiah 50,51. True many new translations use future to a
great extent in these chapters, but they are far from being
consistent. If you look at the WAYYIQTOLs and the QATALs in this two
chapters, you can see the inconsistencies.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo