[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

unikom at paco.net unikom at paco.net
Sat May 15 11:35:16 EDT 2004

Dear Harold and Emmanuel,

I love to hear meaningful arguments, thank you.

Please consider:

Ez28:10 is really simple, mentioning "deaths of the uncircumcized." Both
words are in plural, of course.

Ez28:8: They would bring you down to Sheol, and you would die, emptied by
[the] deaths, in [the] heart of [the] seas
"You" here refers not to a single man, like in Isaiah 53, but to the
nation, thus "deaths" in plural is only appropriate. The collective plural
is very common in Hebrew (e.g., lamo). Job33:22 employs the word memotei
in exactly the same way: their lives to those who bring deaths.

Another possible problem with "deaths" is the preposition be. I don't
remember encountering bemot in Tanakh (don't have a concordance at hand).
Do you?
Normally, mot is encountered either with m, or with be after the word,
such as in Judges15:18, for example.

Still another problem with "death" is that the translation "he was given"
is, of course, incorrect: it is "he gave." Obviously, it cannot be said,
"he gave in his death[s]."

Let me know your opinion.

Best regards,

Vadim Cherny

>I'm far from being a Hebrew scholar yet, but Gesenius mentions something on
intensive plurals (124 e)
One might need to have a look at Ezk 28:10, where the same word is in the
plural.

Emmanuel

HH: This is understood by F. Delitzsch to be a pluralis
exaggerativus. Forms like it occur in Ezek 28:8,10 and Jer 16:4. It
would be used to indicate a violent death, the pain of which makes it
like dying more than once. You can also call it an intensive plural;
see Gesenius-Kautzsch-Cowley 124, particularly 124e, which states
that there are a number of plurals, found almost exclusively in
poetry (sometimes along with the singular), which are evidently
intended to intensify the idea of the stem (plural of amplification).

HH: Qumran apparently has BWMTW, which John Oswalt and BHS suspect
involves a misplaced W, so that it should be BMWTW, which would
involve a singular form>