[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53: In his death?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Sat May 15 09:51:36 EDT 2004

Dear Vadim,

>Well, since the argument started to deviate into a messianic debate, may I
>suggest to concentrate, to begin with, on a single word:
>
>bemotav
>
>It is uniformly translated as
>
>in his death
>
>How so? The word is in plural in every mss, even in Qumran.
>
>So, it is either,
>
>in his deathS,
>
>or, from boma,
>
>his altars
>
>I would love to read any arguments to the contrary.

HH: This is understood by F. Delitzsch to be a pluralis
exaggerativus. Forms like it occur in Ezek 28:8,10 and Jer 16:4. It
would be used to indicate a violent death, the pain of which makes it
like dying more than once. You can also call it an intensive plural;
see Gesenius-Kautzsch-Cowley 124, particularly 124e, which states
that there are a number of plurals, found almost exclusively in
poetry (sometimes along with the singular), which are evidently
intended to intensify the idea of the stem (plural of amplification).

HH: Qumran apparently has BWMTW, which John Oswalt and BHS suspect
involves a misplaced W, so that it should be BMWTW, which would
involve a singular form.

				Yours,
				Harold Holmyard