[b-hebrew] Re: agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?

nachmanl at juno.com nachmanl at juno.com
Thu May 13 12:41:27 EDT 2004

"What is ambiguous about this verse?
The two verbs "shalah" and "bahar" are in synonymous
parallelism, therefore
the subject of both is identical. Moreover, it's a psalm, a temple song, and
temple poets would naturally have praised one of their own. Shall I cite
other cases of such in Psalms?
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren
Dept. of Biblical Studies
Beit Berl College"

Not semantically ambiguous. Just syntactically ambiguous, which is easily demonstrated. While there is parellism between the verbs (not entirely synonymous, Bahar doesn't mean what Shalah does and intensifies it, though the election of Aharon would be "subordinate" to Moshe, and Shalah means a whole lot of different things throughout Ps 105) but on the level of phonological parallelism (as in Kselman,Ceresko,Watson, Schokel, Adele Berlin's, ideas of sound pairs, semantic-sonant chiasmus, etc.):

AvdO//Bahar bO would an assonantic and semantic-grammatical parallelism of its own, both as sound pairs and genitive agreement or synonomy. So there are several levels of parallelism here.

That's why I wondered about possible multivalence.
Nachman