[b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:13 ha-alma and xarah

Chemorion chosefu_chemorion at wycliffe.org
Wed May 12 05:04:55 EDT 2004

Dear all,
I am sorry if this has already been discussed, but I need your views
concerning ha-alma and xarah in Isaiah 7:14. MT says ha-almah ( a young
woman), with a footnote indicating that the LXX  says pathenos (virgin).But
Isaiah uses the perfect verb xarah, which shows that the young woman is
already pregnant (no longer a virgin). Are there any other ancient readings
that support the rendering in LXX? In my opinion, the young woman is the
means by which The
Lord is giving Ahas His own (Lord's) sign i.e. the sign is meant for Ahas
and the people of his time. What are your views?
Chemorion Chosefu
Sabaot Bible Translation
P.O.Box 6645 Eldoret (Kenya)
Tel.Office- 053 33794, Personal- 0733 360873