[b-hebrew] agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Wed May 12 04:00:16 EDT 2004

Dear Michael:

The reason the traditional understanding is that God does the choosing is:

1) Context. The whole psalm is emphasizing God’s actions
2) Going from memory, men and nations are always God’s possessions, not the other way around.

In reading the unpointed text, there is the possibility that BXR בחר is a passive form, but that would leave the basic meaning of the verse unchanged. That would explain the lack of a B ב prefix for the object of BXR בחר .

At least this is how I read the verse.

Karl W. Randolph.