[b-hebrew] agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?

Harold R. Holmyard III hholmyard at ont.com
Tue May 11 16:17:10 EDT 2004

Dear Michael,

>Dear B-Hebrew Listers,
>
>In Psa. 33:12 we read:
>
>WYHL)  HWHY ñ R$)  YWGH  YR$)
>WL  HLXNL  RXB  M(H
>
>It is usually translated something like:
>
>ìHappy is the nation whose God is YHWH,
>The people whom He has chosen as His inheritance.î
>
>Now, whatís to prevent me from here understanding YHWH
>as ìaffected patientî (i.e. the chosen) and Ha-AM as
>ìagentî (i.e. the one doing the choosing)?  This would
>produce a translation something like:
>
>ìHappy is the nation whose God is YHWH,
>The people that has chosen Him to be its inheritance.î

HH: It's not what the words suggest. Do a literal translation:

Happy is the nation whose God is Yahweh,
the people he has chosen for an inheritance for himself.

HH: A literal translation doesn't lead to the
idea you are suggesting. By the way, I'm used to
seeing the transliteration in right-to-left word
order. But thanks for providing it.

			Yours,
			Harold Holmyard