[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

furuli at online.no furuli at online.no
Mon May 10 18:20:27 EDT 2004

Dear Cherny and Nikolay,

I read quickly through your work on Isaiah 53 and found many
interesting points. Just a few comments at this stage: Some time ago
I gave a lecture on the verbal system of Classical Hebrew for a group
working with Bible translation, and I used Isaiah 53 as an example.
In my Norwegian translation almost all verbs have future tense. So I
would like to ask. Why should we in a prophetic text referring to the
future use simple past and perfect, or even present?  Are there any
lexical, grammatical, or syntactical data that would prevent a
translator from consistently using future tense in prophecies
referring to the future?

Best regards

Rolf Furuli