[b-hebrew] Re: Syriac Grammar

Julie Devall krena_li_mara at hotmail.com
Fri May 7 09:26:42 EDT 2004

Dear Jonathan,

The short of it is, if you have mastery over at least Hebrew via Gesenius,
Jouon, or other traditional grammars, then you will be able to learn with
these grammars.  There may be better grammars than Gordon's nowadays...

The good thing about Thackston is that once you master his format of
grammar, it is easier to progress to his other grammars.  So, after you
learn Syriac, you can access his Arabic or Persian grammars.  I'm studying
Arabic right now, and the problem I've found with Thackston's grammar is
that it doesn't provide the vowels that you need as a beginner/self-learner,
to be able to generate the language.  He provides them in transliteration,
but without tutelage, I've gotten to lesson 8 then stopped about 3 times
over the years.  I'm now under the tutelage of an Islamic teacher who says
that this grammar would be hard even for native Arabic speakers.

We need more grammars that are are intuitive, organic to the texts to which
they are representing, and that are student friendly, allowing students to
work actual texts before they get too bored or lost... ;)

Shalom,

Julie