[b-hebrew] Tammuz, image of

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon May 3 19:52:42 EDT 2004

To All:

I see the adoption of the Aramaic names for the months as one evidence for the early adoption of Aramaic as the main spoken language among Jews, rather than later as some would claim.

Tanakh recorded four names of months: )BYB, ZW, )TNYM, BWL (first, second, seventh and eighth months).

That by the time of Ezra and Nehemiah the Aramaic names were in use instead of the Hebrew names is a clue that the general population was as familiar, if not more familiar, with Aramaic instead of Hebrew at that time.

But then there is the chance that in their apostasy, Jews were adopting the Aramaic names for the months even before the Exile as part of their apostasy.

Karl W. Randolph.