[b-hebrew] Re: consonantal reduplication

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon May 3 19:02:00 EDT 2004

Dear Harold and Clay:

I don’t have a list of such lexemes, but I think a better couple of examples would be:

)DMDM (אדמדם) reddish

(QLQL (עקלקל) convoluted

SLSLH (סלסלות) used once in Tanakh, comes from the root SLL (סלל), appears to mean trellis in its use in Jeremiah 6:9 and KRKRH appears as if it comes from the root KRR (כרר): both of these examples already have a doubled consonant.

)BYB (אנינ) the Hebrew name of the month in which Passover is found, the first month of the year, appears to have a doubled beit with a yod interjected, from )B (אנ).

As for the meaning of XPRPRWT (חפרפרות) I’m guessing, but expect it to refer to a small, burrowing animal, about the size of a bat.

Karl W. Randolph.