[b-hebrew] 1 Sam 5:6 ; Mice & Rats & Plague

C. Stirling Bartholomew jacksonpollock at earthlink.net
Mon May 3 17:13:03 EDT 2004

On 5/3/04 12:42 PM, "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard at ont.com> wrote:

> Does Hebrew have reduplicated patterns? Greek
>> of course has lots of reduplication but I wasn't aware that it was a common
>> characteristic of Hebrew. Is it???
>
> HH: Yes, reduplication is a feature of Hebrew. If you have GKC, check
> at 55d-g for verbs (of course) and 84b (k-p) for nouns.

Yes GKC 84b(n) and Waltke/O'Conner 5.2.h and 5.5. But reading
Waltke/O'Conner,  I see that the repetition of a single consonant is called
reduplication. If that is the case the reduplication is common but I was not
in the habit of thinking of single consonant repetition as reduplication.
Why not? Who knows? How common is double consonant reduplication like the
form lxprprym found in 1QIsa(a)?

Thanks Harold.

greetings,
Clay Bartholomew