[b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Mar 31 09:07:24 EST 2004

On 31/03/2004 05:58, Yigal Levin wrote:

>Dora,
>
>In Israel Microsoft sells a Hebrew version of Windows and Office, which is
>right to left. Since native speakers almost never use vowel points, the fact
>that many of the various fonts don't support them is not a problem. Of
>course, Hebrew Office supports English with no difficulty.
>
>When I was in the States I found out that the Hebrew version is not sold in
>the US, and that you have to make do with various "language packs" and so
>on. There is Hebrew software that is used by many American Jews, such as
>Dagesh and Davka, but since no-one in Israel uses them, they didn't do me
>much good. I finally got my Word to support Hebrew, but my email did not, so
>I had to either use English or send attachments. On my wife's computer, she
>had Hebrew Outlook Express, but Word documents came through reversed. She
>would send them to me, and I would print them for her.
>
>Who said that life is simple?
>
>Yigal

Yigal, I wonder how old your story is? The situation has been much
simpler since Windows 2000 came out. The versions sold in Israel and in
the USA are essentially identical, although the user interfaces may be
in different languages. The same is true of MS Office 2000 and later.
Word documents would not be reversed in Word 2000 and later, if Hebrew
is selected as one of the language supported by the system and by Office.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/