[b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Mar 31 06:05:56 EST 2004

On 30/03/2004 16:18, Dave Washburn wrote:

>On Tuesday 30 March 2004 15:23, Peter Kirk wrote:

>>>This just tells me you don't understand what you're talking about.
>>>

>>Bill, I am not now a computer professional. I used to be, 15 years ago,
>>and I worked with a similar setup with terminal emulators to a (local)
>>Unix system. But we didn't do e-mail. So I don't understand the details
>>of what your problem is. I am aware that there are GUIs available for
>>Unix systems but it seems you choose not to use them. While I accept
>>that I don't understand the details, I don't like the tone of your ad
>>hominem remark "you don't understand what you're talking about".
>>

>Peter,
>I'm afraid you're just digging the hole deeper with these comments.  Yes,
>there are GUI's available for Unix, but not all dial-in Unix systems allow
>them because of the load they put on the system.  Nyx, where I have had my
>email address for 15 years, is one of them.  Thankfully, I don't have to dial
>in to them and can now get my mail by POP3 instead of having to either dial
>or telnet in and use a text-based client such as pine or elm.  But not
>everyone has that luxury, and it's unreasonable to expect people to be able
>to exceed the bounds of their ISP.

Bill is Unix Systems Administrator, so at one level or another it is his
choice whether to permit GUI access. I accept that he may have good
reasons not to. But he has implied that his e-mail is stored on a
Microsoft Exchange server and is accessible by IMAP. That surely implies
that he can access this, as well as the Unix system, by dial-up if he
chooses - except in the unlikely event that there is a general
university policy against staff and students accessing their e-mail from
home. Even in that case he has the option of forwarding his e-mail to a
public ISP account.

I understand the situation. My e-mail is stored on a Linux system to
which I don't have GUI access, but I use POP3 and SMTP, or I could use
IMAP. This is the standard way of accessing e-mail worldwide.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/