[b-hebrew] question about Song of the Sea

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Mar 30 06:56:34 EST 2004

On 29/03/2004 18:31, Dora Smith wrote:

> I'm not sure anyone quite understood - but one of my two efforts to
> post that stuff from Strong's and the International Bible Encyclopedia
> used Unicode.  My e-mail displayed the Hebrew as gibberish - but once
> I copied and pasted it into WORD and then highlighted the gibberish
> and changed the font to Hebrew, the Hebrew text returned - and those
> words that I could recognize were unscathed.  SUS, for instance.
>
> Too bad the list isnt at Yahoo, where one can upload files in a
> variety of formats that can;t be posted to the list or that are
> intended for permanent reference.

Does your ISP offer you any web space? If so, you can upload your files
there, and include a pointer (URL) in your signature, as I do.

> I wouldn't actually want to write an entire post in Hebrew; just a few
> words.   With their transliterations.
>
> I checked; I actually have WL Hebrew Parsons and WP Hebrew David
> installed on my computer.  Possibly from the searching I did sometime ago.

Dora, your problem is that this is not Unicode Hebrew, but an old and
non-standard way of writing Hebrew.

> Only questions - how do you get it to write from right to left (It
> currently writes from left to right) and how do you put the vowel
> markers in?

With these old systems, you don't, and effectively you can't write
Hebrew in any sensible way. I would advise you to download either SBL
Hebrew (http://www.sbl-site.org/Resources/default.aspx) or the new
version of Ezra SIL
(http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=EzraSIL_Home).
These are Unicode Hebrew fonts, and both come with ways of typing Hebrew
with vowels right to left. These work well with Word 2000 and Windows
2000 and later; you need Office 2003 only for neat display of accents.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/