[b-hebrew] Fonts etc.

Uri Hurwitz uhurwitz at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 29 20:11:03 EST 2004

Dave Washburn <dwashbur at nyx.net>   quoted the following , from Peter  Kirk?
> Another good reason for using Hebrew text is for the mother tongue
> Hebrew speakers on the list. It doesn't exactly make things easier for
> them, or make for better relationships, when we western Christians
> insist on using our script for their language.

To which one can only say : this is a noble sntiment!

One can also add that whoever joins the list  is persumably not only familiar with the Latin script, but must have at least some knowledge of English.

It is also good to keep in mind that Latin and Hebrew use the same West Canaanite script, though with some modifications. My students used to be suprised when I pointed this out and indicated that even the sequence of  many letters remains the same: Q, R, S, T  cf. with Quf Reish Shin Tav, or K,L,M,N  cf.with Kaf , Lamed, Mem Nun , not to mention the very beginning of the Alphabet.

Cheers

Uri