[b-hebrew] Song of the Sea : Az Yiashir moshe

Sonny FROMMELT ovadyahf at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 29 16:40:54 EST 2004

Dear friends
I draw your attention to "az to yiashir moshe", "then Moses sang", as we
usually translate:

In fact, it is about unaccomplished time that we can translate by a future,
like this :
"Then (az) Moses will sing". You will object that according to the immediate
context and the continuation of the verse, it is necessary to translate by a
past, which admittedly is not impossible, grammatically. HOWEVER, we must
pay attention to the Jewish comprehension of this passage :
They preserve the future and apply that to times of the Messiah. Admittedly,
the children of Israel undoubtedly sang in the past, it is an obviousness,
but according to this reading, this past returns us towards a future event.
And that gives all its direction to the verse in the Apocalypse which says
that then, one will sing the canticle of Moses and that of the lamb. We must
know in addition, that the pharisees kept here the direction of "future".
They deduced some from there, the resurrection of deaths, like principle
resulting from the Torah. Such a comprehension seems to agree with the
comprehension of the authors of the New Testament; and consequently, we must
pay great attention not to level the translations, to have only "correct"
sentences in English, but to leave the text with its reliefs, its
provocations! The irregularities of the text are there to lead us to the
reflexion and to draw hidden richnesses there. Jesus spoke in parabolas,
much of secrecies are for the attentive ears. We should not apply an
excessive rationnalism to the exegèse, but we must try to
include/understand, how and with what made to references the writers of the
NT. Paul, in Galates, made more a Jewish exegèse that a Christian exegèse,
that must make us reflect, and I wish a handing-over there of cause in this
field.  Fraternally (of France).