[b-hebrew] Fonts etc.

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Mon Mar 29 13:37:52 EST 2004

On 29/03/2004 10:21, Polycarp66 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 3/29/2004 12:54:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> peterkirk at qaya.org writes:
>
>     Another good reason for using Hebrew text is for the mother tongue
>     Hebrew speakers on the list. It doesn't exactly make things easier
>     for
>     them, or make for better relationships, when we western Christians
>     insist on using our script for their language. We wouldn't be very
>     happy
>     if they wrote our language in their script, would we?
>
> __________
>
> Huh?!  What's this supposed to mean.  I wasn't aware we were speaking
> a Christian language with or without a Hebrew script.  I thought we
> were discussing biblical Hebrew which of necessity involves what we
> Christians call the Old Testament but our Jewish friends simply the
> Bible or the TANAK.  Please explain.
>
> gfsomsel

I didn't mention a Christian language. But postings on this list are in
English, which is a western language, and the mother tongue of most of
the Christians and other Gentiles on this list, as well as of some of
the Jews. I suspect that almost all the Christians on this list are
mother-tongue speakers of languages which use Latin script - perhaps not
George A, and we have had Russians on the list. Perhaps I should have
been more specific and referred to "we English-speaking Christians" or
"we Christians whose mother tongue is written in Latin script". And "our
script" is of course Latin script.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/