[b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Wed Mar 24 13:01:56 EST 2004

On 24/03/2004 07:01, Sameer Yadav wrote:

>If the modal uses of qtl count as strong enough
>evidence to reject the modal version of the
>waw-conversive theory, then all the modal uses of wqtl
>where the waw is being used as a simple coordinating
>conjunction count as straightforward modal uses of
>qtl, which completely undermines both Hatav and Zuber. ...

I haven't looked into your argument in detail. But it seems to me that
you are presenting a rather small number of examples as evidence to
reject and "completely undermine" certain theories. At this point I
reject your methodology, for the same reason that I reject Rolf
Furuli's. I would expect that in natural language (and especially in
ancient texts which may be corrupt) there will always be a small number
of cases which do not fit neatly into any theory. Sometimes a
refinement, rather than rejection, of the theory may be necessary; but
even so, with an ancient language with no mother tongue speakers
available, we must expect that there will be a small number of
occurrences which we can never explain properly.

If you can find a better theory which accounts for 100% of the data, or
even 99.5%, please let us know, but until then be careful about
rejecting theories which account for 99% of it.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/