[b-hebrew] Deut 5, 17 -20

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Tue Mar 23 13:16:32 EST 2004

On 23/03/2004 08:38, David Kimbrough (CLWA) wrote:

>Yigal,
>
>Thank you for your reply, it was quite informative.  However my question was
>a bit more narrowly focused.  In the text I was looking at, the was a sof
>pasuq at the end of each verse of the traditional "commandments" in
>Deuteronomy.   My question was, do other MT MSS have a sof pasuq in the same
>places?  The footnote I read was more than a bit vague.  Is it that there
>are no sof pasuq at the end of each of these sections or is it that there is
>a different practice of using the sof pasuq to identify the end of the
>verse.  To put it a different way, Is everyone looking at identical MT MSS
>and simply numbering the verses differently based different philosophy or
>are there differences in the MSS which give rise to different versification?
>Thanks again.
>
>David Eugene Kimbrough
>dkimbrough at clwa.org

In Codex Leningradensis there is a clear sof pasuq, and a space
(interpreted by BHS as setuma), after each of commandments 6-9 in Deut
5. There is also a double set of accents. The Biblica Rabbinica, the
early 16th century printed text, is the same.

I will send to David and Yigal offlist a scan of the relevant parts.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/