[b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Thu Mar 18 18:07:45 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/18/2004 5:56:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kwrandolph at email.com writes:
It looks as if we should drop this
discussion. Unless either of us finds data
other than what has been presented on this
list in the last few weeks, neither seems
able to convince the other. We are arguing
in circles.

Evidence that I recognize argues for an
earlier, rather than later, adoption of
Aramaic for the language cooed over the
cradle, bickered in the market and
conversed on the street, leaving Hebrew
spoken fluently only as a second language
by an educated elite for religion,
government and high (mostly religious)
literature. This is analogous to the use of
Latin in Europe in the 14th century and
imperial Chinese in the 19th. You argue
that the existence of religious,
governmental and high literature Hebrew
indicates that people still learned Hebrew
at their mothers’ knees.