[b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL

Peter Kirk peterkirk at qaya.org
Thu Mar 18 06:23:42 EST 2004

You wrote the following:

>Hebrew had
>ceased being the language on the street in
>all but the most remote farming villages by
>the time of the Maccabees, if not earlier.
>Yet because it was the language of
>religion, government and high literature,
>it continued to be spoken by an educated
>elite, much like Latin in Europe.

So you accept that Hebrew was used for religious purposes including
writing the DSS, but not as anyone's mother tongue. In principle that is
possible. In actuality the evidence is against it, but rather that
Hebrew continued as the mother tongue of some communities throughout the
Second Temple period.

peter at qaya.org (personal)
peterkirk at qaya.org (work)
http://www.qaya.org/