[b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Tue Mar 16 20:07:19 EST 2004

Peter:

English pronounces Latin loan words
according to a certain set of rules. Was
Latin at the time of the ceasars spoken
according to the same rules as modern
English rules for the same words? No one
that I know of would make that claim.

By the time of the Masoretes, Hebrew had
not been spoken as a native language for
near a millennium. How do we know that the
Masorete pronunciation, very likely based
on Aramaic or other languages, was the same
as Hebrew was spoken a thousand years
earlier? There is reason to doubt it.

Karl W. Randolph.