[b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Mar 15 20:28:55 EST 2004

Peter:

After all, this is the B-Hebrew list, so
why shouldn’t we limit this discussion to
Biblical Hebrew?

What steamed me is to read that, based on
this postulated proto-Semitic, Biblical
Hebrew was different from what we should
expect from looking at the unpointed text.
It steamed me because it is taking concepts
from outside of Biblical Hebrew and making
it more authoritative than the surviving
texts.

Do you suppose that when Phoenician and
Aramaic adopted the 22 character Hebrew
alphabet, that they adopted it unchanged
because they shared the same set of
consonantal phonemes at that time? (That’s
just a throw out question, I don’t intend
to discuss it at length.)

Karl W. Randolph.