[b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Mon Mar 15 17:25:41 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/15/2004 5:09:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kwrandolph at email.com writes:
In particular, I refer to their
presupposition that all knowledge is either
scientific, or “nonsense” (which they
defined in various ways). The problem with
this presupposition is that there are
different types of knowledge. The rules
regarding historical evidence are different
from those governing scientific evidence.
Does that make a study of history
“nonsense”? Even they recognized that
history is not nonsense, but in their
effort to assert the validity of historical
studies, they went by the proposition that
the present is the key to the past, i.e.
the present day phenomena and processes
that can be observed and repeatedly so,
hence scientific, are the only ones that
have acted throughout the history of the
universe (not scientific). “Scientific
cosmology” is an oxymoran.
_________

While I have no inclination to attempt to support Logical Positivism (It
ultimately failed due to the fact that it became evident that their own position
rested upon non-empirical positions), I would not fault them for taking a
position that the present is governed by the same principles as the past.  Are you
maintaining that up to a certain point (say, the end of the Biblical period)
one set of laws governed reality but since then a different set of laws is in
force?  While this is not the place to discuss philosophy, you did bring up the
subject so I can hardly ignore the elephant in the room.  Bringing it back to
a question of religion, though unfortunately not Hebrew language, this is
hardly a view that God is faithful.  I think you need to rethink this or explain
yourself better.

gfsomsel