[b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL

Karl Randolph kwrandolph at email.com
Mon Mar 15 04:07:53 EST 2004

Peter:

If this is what Huxley really said, he was
more ignorant than I thought. And not below
making an ad homonym attack (even if the
bishop asked for it).

I learned the definition of science in
biology class where the textbook was
written by Dr. George Gaylord Simpson,
professor of biology and evolution at
Harvard (when he retired, Stephen Jay Gould
took his place). To distill his three page
definition to a paragraph, science can deal
only with phenomena which can be observed,
observed repeatedly. Any phenomena which
cannot be observed, or observed only once
but the observation cannot be repeated,
cannot be studied as a scientific study. In
a series of observations, scientists look
for patterns, which are stated as
hypothesis and after more testing (by
observations) can become theories. In
researching the library in physics,
chemistry and other biology texts, I found
none that contradicted this definition.

Evolution, as defined by the same
professor, is the theory that all life
developed by natural means over long
periods of time from simple, common
ancestors. Again, no textbook that I have
seen contradicts this definition.

Putting the two paragraphs together, we see
that evolution, by definition, cannot be
observed, therefore cannot be scientific.
When one looks at the “evidences” for
evolution, most, if not all, somewhere
depend on a presupposition that cannot be
observed, sometimes several, that
invalidate them as scientific evidences for
evolution.

Admitting that evolution is not a
scientific theory does not falsify it, it
merely acknowledges that it is a
metaphysical theory, which is a 50¢ word
for religious theory.

As for historical linguistics, the fossils
indicating the existence and development of
those languages are the surviving documents
written in those languages. Unfortunately,
those documents are often just skeletons,
even parts of skeletons, unable to flesh
out the richness the languages originally
had. Where is the skeleton of proto-
Semitic? By your own admission, it doesn’t
exist. It is merely a conjecture, based on
a theory. To use conjecture based on theory
to have veto power over how one should
interpret the observed skeleton of a
historical language, sounds backwards to
me. Especially as long as there is the
possibility that the theory may be wrong.

My interpretation of the bones of Biblical
Hebrew are that the 22 letters represented
22 consonantal phonemes, each with one
sound that existed from Moses to the Galut
Babel. The consonantal sounds may have been
different than as we interpret the signs
left by the Masoretes. Just because a
cognate language may have had more phonemes
does not mean that Hebrew did. Absent
documentary evidence, there is no way to
prove, nor disprove, my interpretation.

Karl W. Randolph.

Ps: This is the last I hope to hear of
evolution on this mailing list.