[b-hebrew] Psa 107:19-21 (was WAYYIQTOL)

Polycarp66 at aol.com Polycarp66 at aol.com
Sun Mar 14 22:20:41 EST 2004

In a message dated 3/14/2004 10:11:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kwrandolph at email.com writes:
I don’t think disagreeing with the
Masoretes equals beating up on them. As for
my personal opinion, I think they did a
bang up job with the materials that they
had. Where I disagree with them, it is
where I think the traditions for
pronunciations no longer reflect the
original pronunciation of Biblical Hebew
and/or the specific maaning of a passage.
These traditions predate the Masoretes by
centuries, some close to a millennium.

Don’t blame the Masoretes for faithfully
recording something that was not of their
making.
_________

I'm afraid you lost me here.  If the tradition which the Masoretes recorded
predated them and that's all we have that goes back even that far, how can you
know that the traditions don't reflect the original pronunciation?  We can
obviously know nothing regarding the original pronunciation unless it is for such
items as were virtually transliterated into the Greek of the LXX.  Are you
privy to some special revelation concerning this?

gfsomsel