[b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL

Brian Roberts formoria at carolina.rr.com
Sun Mar 14 08:58:43 EST 2004

On Sunday, March 14, 2004, at 12:52  AM, Polycarp66 at aol.com wrote:

> Why should you assume that Hebrew was the original language? (I believe
> this
> is what you are implying here.  Correct me if I misunderstand.  Indeed,
> I tend
> to think of Babel as a myth to explain the existence of a multitude of
> languages despite a previously stated origin of the human species from
> a single
> ancestor.  This forum is really not the proper place to discuss this
> matter, but
> since you raised the issue I feel obliged to clarify the point.  You
> may, and
> perhaps should, answer offlist.

As there is no conclusive proof of the origins of Phoenician, Hebrew, or
Aramaic, I believe Karl's questions are not only valid, but should be
supported. If proto-Semitic is becoming a sacred cow without good call,
then it must be challenged.

I believe that was Karl's point. He wasn't assuming Hebrew was the
original language, he was suggesting it. There is a tremendous
difference.